RSS

Tag Archives: planning

Deck update

Okay, it’s been a while since I’ve posted about the deck – you thought it was finished didn’t you? Well it almost is. But, you know, the deck finished without the back yard done is like an exceptional meal without a garnish.

So, I’ve started boxing in the area under the balcony/verandah and thought I’d show the progress. Once this section is done, the plants will be put in the ground and the whole back yard cleaned up. THEN it will be finished.

The area in the photo above is where there were a bunch of plants that I have removed (and potted). My plan is to enclose this area by putting up boards that are arranged the same way as the back wall of the deck.

When I removed all the plants from the garden I kept ALL of them. The mondo grass I took out went into styrofoam boxes, but not all survived. I have had to empty the boxes, throw the dead stuff in the green waste bin, the foam into the bin and the excess dirt to back fill the areas in front of where the boards will go. Not a HARD job, but a bit time consuming.

I also arranged the left over wood behind where the boards will go so they look a bit tidier if you happen to look in there. I also left a coil of agflow pipe there as well. Now, it might sound like I’m just boarding up rubbish, but in fact it’s home to Elizabeth. Elizabeth and her husband Phillip are our resident blue tongue lizards. Elizabeth may have laid her eggs in the agflow pipe, so I’ve decided it wouldn’t be fair to displace her and risk hurting the kids. So I decided just to leave the pipe where it was and leave the boards in there for a playground. Besides, it’s their home too, right?

In this photo (above) you can see the area that I’m building up, which is under the sole remaining mondo grass box. This area is the end of the deck – and I will cut off the extra bits soon, don’t worry. The area under the trees and to the right of this photo will be where I’m planting the clivias to create a nice ground cover and a splash of green. You can also see in the background the agflow pipe, aka Elizabeth’s home.

This shot gives you a better idea of the area I’ll be covering with the boards. The part under the stairs will be a challenge, but the other parts should be as easy as just building a frame to attach the boards to. Then once complete the clivias will occupy that dirt space in front between the boards and the paving.

This is the area that I’m focusing on first – the stairs. This will be the trickiest since it’s a triangle shape. Therefore, I thought the best way to go about it was to draw up some plans….

From the above plans (if you can work them out) I have taken all the measurements and worked out roughly (diagram not to scale) where all the boards will go and how the frame will work.

Since this part of the “wall” will be mostly held up by the ends of the other frames, I’m not to concerned about how solid the frame is. It just needs to be enough to be able to support the weight of the boards. I’ve cut a few corners here, but I think it will be fine. Bascially I have put an upright on the left, one on the right and one in the middle. The uprights are bolted to a ground horizontal beam and the boards attached to the uprights. It all seems good in theory. Once the boards are in place, I’ll cut a board in half length ways and it will be the cap running down the “hypotenuse” of the wall.

Once I put the frame together, I got a little gung ho, so didn’t take pics, but when I had finished I put the birds nest plants near the wall to hold it if there’s a problem. Here are the pics of where I’m up to right now. I still have a few more boards to go on and the hypotenuse to affix as well.

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on May 24, 2012 in Decking [COMPLETE]

 

Tags: , , , , ,

Planning #1

Planning #1

One of the biggest problems about painting miniatures is knowing exactly what colours will go where. Therefore, it helps to do a little planning. Especially in this case since I really want these ones to have personality – not their own, but the players they are based on.

There are always things that make each player stand out and allow you to identify which is your favourite. I wanted to encapsulate as much of that as I can, but to do so, I need to make sure I get as detailed as possible. So, I’ve put a lot of time into stalking… I mean researching what the players wear and what they look like. This way, I hope to be able to make the miniatures recognizable enough for a fan to know who it is.

Unfortunately this takes a long time (probably longer than painting), but I think it’s going to be worth it. Below are the first three “plans” of what the miniatures will eventually look like (hopefully). I’ve started with the D’viants. I haven’t labelled the photo of the plan, their name is at the top.

Disclaimer: Drawings may not be to scale nor very good. Some colours are moved to base colours (eg bright green to green, lime green to green, fluoro green to green) – this is not to make it easy, this is because I am a bloke. Any offense that may be taken by the actual people of who the plans are made about is fully intended, though definitely in jest. 🙂

More to follow as I do more planning….

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on February 9, 2012 in Impact City Roller Derby

 

Tags: , , , , ,

 
%d bloggers like this: